Tuesday, November 9, 2010

How quickly golf can change

An interesting scenario happened while playing in our Golf Marathon last week.  We were scheduled for 5 rounds, 90 holes last Wednesday in an effort to make as many birdies as we could for charity.  5 of us started in the dark, rain and wind on TPC Las Colinas.  Not ideal conditions for scoring.  I made one birdie in each of the first two rounds.  Not so hot considering my quota was to get to 10.
For the next three rounds we moved over to Cottonwood Valley, which is our members course.  The rain had stopped but the wind was still up.  I played the 3rd round as bad as I could possibly play.  Virtually zero ball striking.  About the 16th hole I found something that helped me get some solid contact the last two holes.
The final two rounds I was to play with my boss, Director of Golf Paul Earnest.  Obviously you always want to put your best foot forward in these types of situations.  Well I proceed to make four birdies in the 4th round and three birdies in the 5th and final round while probably leaving at least five more on the table.
The moral to this story is that your game, for good or bad, can change at the drop of a hat.  Mine went from as bad as it could be to maybe as good as it's been in a long time by just adjusting my feelings.  I felt it helped that I stayed positive throughout the bad 3rd round but it was classic golf.
So many times golfers fail to realize the next good shot or round is just around the corner.  You've got to hang in there and stay positive.  One feeling could make all the difference in the word.  It certainly did with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment