Friday, March 4, 2011

Curvature mistakes and the Grip

I had a very informative teaching seminar this past week with 6 German PGA Professionals.  One of topics that came up was the grip.  To me, the grip is an extremely important part of the golf swing.  It's the only direct link the body has to the club.  Unfortunately, often times the grip is used as a compensation for misses that curve too much to the right or left.
If a student is curving the ball too much to the right and the grip is weak I'll adjust the grip to make it more neutral.  However, if the grip is too strong I can't fix the grip until the shot allows me to.  In other words, I need to get the student almost get some hook into their shot before I can fix their grip.
When a student is hooking the ball too much and a grip is too strong, then the grip is the first thing I'll work with.  By making the grip more neutral it helps to soften the hook tendency.
As a student's golf swing becomes more on plane there's an increased need to have a more neutral or fundamentally correct grip.  A good golf swing needs a good grip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment