Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Perception of Words

In teaching, I've found that not only your diagnosis but how you word your correction makes or breaks the students' improvement.  A good example of this comes in the short game.  Pitching the ball in the air is often difficult for many golfers.  The concept they sometimes have is one that the ball must be scooped up to create height.  A comment that a student often makes is 'I didn't get underneath that last shot.'  That might be true but I feel it's a bad way to view the missed shot.  My verbiage to them is ' don't try to get underneath it, just try to get down to the ball.'  Let the loft of the club do the work.  This verbiage gives the student persmission to swing the clubhead down to the ball and ground instead of sliding the club underneath the ball. 
It may be semantics but I've had alot of succes phrasing my corrections in the short game this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment