Saturday, February 6, 2010

Never Stop Learning


A very educational day for me today.  The Four Seasons Resort and Club/Dallas hosted a Junior Golf Fitness Seminar for about 75 Dallas junior golfers and their parents.  The Seminar was loaded with talent.  Recent PGA TOUR winner and past Dallas junior golfer Ryan Palmer was a guest speaker along with his golf coach Randy Smith and Physical Therapist Dr. Troy Van Beizen.  I had an opportunity to address the crowd for about 15 minutes.  My talk was centered on the work I've done with two of my talented junior golfers, Anthony Paolucci and Matt Gilchrest.
I also have two of the top junior golfers from the state of Indiana in town for the week-end to work on their game.  Ryan and Kelly Grassel have been students of mine since they were little kids.  Ryan is a Senior getting ready to play college golf and Kelly is a Freshman in High School and probably the best girls junior golfer in the state of Indiana.  Kelly is need of some distance so we were off to see 'The Wizard' this afternoon in search of some distance.  The Wizard is Art Sellinger, the owner of Long Drivers of America and a good friend of mine.  He agreed to spend some time with Kelly in an effort to increase her distance.  We started out in Art's studio with Kelly registering 121 mph in ball speed with her driver.  Within about an hour Art had her ball speed up to 136 mph!  Through some improved technique, prodding and a new shaft in her driver Kelly had increased her driver distance by about 25 yards.  We headed over to a nearby course to see what the ball flight was like.  Kelly's launch on her driver was just incredible. I was really impressed by what Art had isolated to get her more distance.
So a big day for me as far as improving my knowledge.  25 years into teaching and I'm still learning how to be a better teacher for my students.  The moral of the day is never stop learning and don't be afraid to look 'outside of the box' to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment